Navigation Bar Blue

Sunday 22 September 2013

If You Hold On to Your History

I am aware that I've been doing a lot of posts lately that seem to contain the word God or take on a strong tone of religiosity. If passers-by are thinking what I think they're probably thinking, don't you worry. I am no staunch Christian, nor do I consider myself seriously religious and have said this many times before in my previous writings.

Although spiritual and philosophical teachings are very meaningful to me, but I promise that this journal of mine is not about to take on a "holy" approach and will stay true to the realities of my life.

Having cleared that up, here's another speech I found so deep and inspirational about destiny that I couldn't resist giving it an entry into the journal of my growth.

"If you hold on to your history, you do it at the expense of your destiny."

"If you're gonna spend all that energy energising where you've been, then you're not gonna have the fuel and the fire, and the tenacity and the aggressiveness that you need to energise where you're going.

People are taught to think that it is powerful to hold people hostage with what they did wrong. That 'that' is your power.

Forgiveness does not exonerate the perpetrator. Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself because you let it go so that you are available to be your highest and best self, and because you are saying that 'It' is not stronger than me. 'It' is not stronger than me. I disconnect from 'It' is a sign that I am in control of 'It', and 'It' is not in control of me.

It has been my philosophy. If I had held on to all the things that happened to me in my childhood and in my life, I wouldn't be standing here today. I had to realise that when you rehearse those visions and images, you empower them. You actually enshrine them. I decided to cast down the idols of my history, and to embrace the possibilities of my destiny."

Bishop T.D. Jakes

No comments:

Post a Comment